Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
This little beauty is a super simple delicious, nutritious meal that's perfect for promoting digestive health. This easy-to-make Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers recipe, is a culinary gem that marries taste and functional nutrition seamlessly. Each bite is packed with plant-based protein, essential vitamins, and minerals, making this dish a staple for those seeking high fibre meals that are as delicious as they are beneficial. It's a gluten-free dinner option that doesn’t compromise on taste, making it a family-friendly healthy recipe that both kids and adults will adore.
Quinoa, a whole grain, may seem like its a bit of a “trendy” ingredient, but it is renowned for its protein richness and diverse array of amino acids. Black beans, on the other hand, are a treasure trove of fibre, ensuring your digestive health is always at its peak. Coupled with the Vitamin C richness of bell peppers, this dish is a little powerhouse.
Whether you're in search of quick vegetarian meals, high protein vegan meals, or simply want to explore new healthy baking recipes, these Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers hit the spot. Ideal for weeknight dinners, weekend indulgence, or meal prep ideas.
- 4 large bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 200g quinoa
- 1 tin (400g) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin (400g) of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F or Gas Mark 4).
- Place the halved peppers cut-side-up in a baking dish and set aside.
- Rinse 200g of quinoa under cold water. Cook it according to the package instructions, then set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it’s soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and 1 teaspoon of ground coriander. Cook for another minute until aromatic.
- Stir in the drained black beans and chopped tomatoes. Let the mixture simmer for about 5-10 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the black bean and tomato mixture. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the quinoa and black bean mixture evenly among the halved peppers.
- If you’re using cheese, sprinkle the grated cheddar on top of each stuffed pepper half.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
- If desired, garnish with fresh coriander leaves before serving. Serve warm and enjoy!
High in Fibre:
- Black beans are rich in dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, helps maintain healthy bowel movements, and reduces the risk of constipation. Source
Rich in Protein:
- Quinoa is a complete protein source, providing all essential amino acids, promoting muscle growth, and tissue repair. Source
- Bell peppers are loaded with antioxidants, including Vitamin C, which supports immune function, skin health, and cellular repair. Source
Supports Digestive Health:
- The combination of fiber from black beans and quinoa promotes a healthy digestive tract and reduces the risk of digestive disorders. Source
- Bell peppers offer a rich source of Vitamin C, which enhances immune function and reduces the risk of chronic diseases. Source
- The phytonutrients in bell peppers have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce the risk of inflammatory conditions. Source