Heavenly Chickpea & Spinach Curry
This is a super cheap plant based curry that is big on flavour and big on nutrients too. Rich in B vitamins and plant protein, its a sure fire winner! Amounts can be multiplied for batch cooking.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans (400g each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 150g baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Cooked brown rice, to serve
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat them in the sauce. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the chickpeas are heated through.
- Add the baby spinach and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the curry with brown rice and sprinkle with fresh coriander.