This is a simple twist on the traditional cottage pie. Instead of using regular potatoes, we are using beta carotene and fibre rich sweet potatoes instead!
1 large red onion - finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
400g beef mince
200ml of tomato passata
2 large sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
Salt & Pepper to taste
1) Saute the onion and garlic in little olive oil, and a good pinch of sea salt until softened.
2) Add the beef mince and keep cooking until browned.
3) Add the passata, mix well, and let simmer on a medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture turns a rich darker colour.
4) Whilst the mince is cooking, boil the sweet potatoes until soft.
5) Drain the sweet potatoes, then mash them into a smooth mash topping.
6) In a baking dish, transfer the mince mixture in first and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Then top with the sweet potato mash and press down. Make some grooves in the top with a fork. These will get a nice crisp crust.
7) Place in a hot oven for around 20 minutes until the potato topping is turning golden.