Cauliflower Steak With Pea Puree & Roasted New Potatoes
This is a gorgeous vegan dinner or Sunday roast option that is super high in fibre, magnesium and all manner of other goodies.
350g new potatoes, halved
Olive oil, for drizzling and sautéing
⅔ tsp garlic salt
2 tsp maple syrup
4 tsp water
½ large cauliflower, sliced lengthways into 2 steaks 2cm thick
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp smoked sweet paprika
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
200g frozen peas
200-300ml vegetable stock
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
2) Parboil the new potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until they just begin to soften, then drain. Fluff them up by giving them a good shake in the colander, then tip into a roasting tin.
3) Drizzle over a small amount of olive oil and toss well. Sprinkle over the garlic salt and toss well again.
4) Roast for 45 minutes until golden and crispy.
5) Meanwhile, mix together the maple syrup and water, then brush both sides of each cauliflower steak with a thin layer of the mixture. Sprinkle over the cumin, cinnamon and paprika, coating both sides.
6) Place the steaks on a baking tray and roast for around 20 to 25 minutes until cooked and the edges are turning golden.
7) Meanwhile, make the purée. In a saucepan over a medium heat, sauté the garlic in olive oil, with a pinch of salt, for a few minutes. Add the peas and enough vegetable stock to half-cover the peas, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer everything to a blender (or use a stick blender) and blitz until smooth.
8) Divide the pea purée between two plates, season, then place the cauliflower steaks on top and scatter round the roasted potatoes.
9) Garnish with micro salad, if using.