Healthy Pad Thai
My healthy upgraded version of this takeaway favourite ditches the huge amounts of refined sugar and cheap harmful omega 6 laden oils. Instead, this gorgeous fakeaway is packed with fresh veg and bursting with fresh vibrant flavour.
1 large red onion - finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
1 Thai bird eye chilli - roughly chopped
1 courgette - cut into half circles
4-5 shiitake mushrooms - sliced
1 stick of flat rice noodles
150g firm tofu - cubed
1 teaspoon of honey
2 teaspoons of soy sauce
Juice of half a lime
1) Simmer the rice noodles for 10 minutes or so until soft. Drain, cover in cold water and set aside.
2) Saute the onion and garlic along with a good pinch of salt until the onion has softened.
3) Add the courgettes and continue to saute until the courgette starts to soften.
4) Add the shiitake mushrooms and keep cooking until the mushrooms soften.
5) Drain the noodles then add to the vegetables and mix well.
6) Add the honey, soy sauce, and lime juice and mix well.
7) Add the tofu and stir it through.
8) Take off of the heat and serve. You can garnish with peanuts and fresh coriander if you like.
Recipe taken from: 'Fakeaways'
Everyone loves a takeaway, but we have never been more aware of the impact they can have on our health and our wallets. In Fakeaways I will show you how to create healthy alternatives to your favourite takeaways at home. From Top Marks Tikka Masala to Vegetable Chow Mein, Aubergine Parmigiana, Chicken Yakitori and Beginners Sushi to all-time classics such as Fish and Chips and "Kould-Be" Fried Chicken - a night in has never sounded so delicious.
Fakeaways brings together 80 of your favourite meals from around the world with nutritional information and creative-twists to help you save time and money.