Green Curry turkey burgers with Thai style salad
This beautiful low carb recipe uses things that you can find in any supermarket. No specialist ingredients. Nothing weird. Just every day ingredients, combined in such a way that the end result is absolutely divinely delicious.
400g turkey mince
3 heaped teaspoons of green curry paste (you can add more if you want)
1 large clove of garlic - finely chopped
1 pack of pre made ‘coleslaw mix’ (red & white cabbage, carrot etc)
2-3 sprigs of fresh mint leaves
2 handfuls of lambs lettuce
2 teaspoons of pomegranate fruit
For the dressing:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 teaspoons of Thai fish sauce
Juice of half a lime
1 teaspoon of honey
1) Start with the burgers. Add the turkey mince, green curry paste, and garlic to a bowl. Season with a pinch of sea salt and then using your hands, squidgy all the ingredients together (that IS the technical term by the way).
2) Once mixed, form into burger patties and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
3) Whilst the burgers are cooking, assemble the salad by mixing the coleslaw mix, lambs lettuce, mint, and pomegranate together. Set aside.
4) Mix all the dressing ingredients together and whisk up well.
5) Once the burgers are cooked, dress the salad and place a generous heap of it in the centre of a plate and then place a couple of burgers around it. Prepare for lift off!!!
Turkey - a delicious lean protein, that is packed with zinc. This vital mineral supports the immune system as our white cells use it to code genes that control how they respond to infection.
Red cabbage - the deep purple colour pigment comes from 'polyphenols' called anthocyanin. These can help to lower blood pressure and protect blood vessels against damage.
Mint - helps to ease bloating. This is because the volatile oils that give it its flavour, help to relax the muscles in the gut Wal and dispel gas.
Carrot - packed with beta carotene that helps to reduce cholesterol oxidation, resulting in less damage to blood vessels. Also helps to protect the skin from oxidative damage and can even help to protect the skin against UV - to a point!
Lambs lettuce - like all of the leafy greens, lambs lettuce is a great source of the mineral magnesium. This mineral helps to relax the central nervous system by raising levels of the neurotransmitter GABA. This helps ease anxiety and promote deeper sleep. Magnesium also regulates over 1000 reactions in the body.