Japan is my favourite country in the World and I get to visit there once in a while, and have fallen in love with its flavours. Chicken or beef cooked in miso is just divine I think. Im not a huge meat eater, and very much view it as a bit like a nutritional supplement, to give my diet a boost throughout the month. Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit, and some supermarkets like waitrose are now selling its juice in small bottles. Dont worry if you can find it, the juice of half a lime will suffice.
Beef – rich in haem iron, zinc, and protein.
Miso – multiple B vitamins, and macro minerals such as calcium
Yuzu/Lime – both rich sources of vitamin C
- 1 clove of garlic – finely chopped
- Half a red onion – chopped into thick slices
- 3-4 leaves of cavolo nero – thinly sliced
- 600g diced beef
- Half a tablespoon of brown rice miso paste
- 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons of mirin (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 3 teaspoons of yuzu or juice of half a lime
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil, along with a small pinch of salt, until the onion is soft.
- Add the beef and stir fry until the beef is almost completely cooked throughout.
- Add the miso paste, sesame oil, and mirin, along with the cavolo nero, and stir fry for a couple of minutes, just long enough for the greens to wilt a little.
- Add the yuzu juice of lime juice before serving.