- olive oil, for greasing and cooking
- 1 large egg
- 1 large beef tomato, top cut off like a lid, and insides scooped out to create a 'bowl'
- 1 rasher nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6 and lightly oil a baking tray.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and heat a little oil in a non-stick pan. Tip in the egg and cook over a high heat, stirring for a minute or so, until it is just starting to scramble, but is still mostly liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the hollowed-out tomato on the oiled baking tray and fill with the part-scrambled egg and the chopped bacon. Lay the tomato ‘lid’ on the tray, too.
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the tomato skin has started to wrinkle and the egg filling is golden.